What does one think is a reflection of his surroundings & the ups & downs in his life. Everyone's life is an entirely different ballgame be it a rich business man, a middle class shop owner or a poor man. There're many situations which tend to befuddle you. Where and how do you find answers to appalling truths of life? Rather than alienating yourself from the world, here is an attempt to help pacify your antagonized mind. So keep writing whether its bilge or sagacious.

Thursday, July 02, 2009

My Love for Chocolate Croissants

This is a weird topic to write on but I will still try to write why I love chocolate croissants. I am not a huge fan of chocolates, though I like some of them like Cadbury's Fruit n Nut, Ferrero Rocher, Five Star (I ate those in India. I don't see them in Amercia) and Kit Kat. I like the dark flavor of chocolates too but only in cakes.

It is interesting how I was introduced to chocolate croissant. When I came to US, I didn't know that something like this existed along with other 10,000 things that I was not aware of and I still am not. Being born and brought up in a small city of India, you don't get to learn a lot unless you are street smart or book smart. Then I was neither of those. Most of you, after reading this (ofcourse who know me) would think, "Are you either of those now?"

I visited a friend in Boston in October of 2005. Traveling from Philadelphia to Boston by bus was not an exciting affair especially considering the cold weather creeping in each day. Having a thing for travel and going to different places kept my excitement alive since this was my first time to Boston after coming to US.

So I reach there and I and my friend plan a visit to Harvard Square, one of the most happening and must see places near Boston. The weather was not something that I enjoyed a lot but the drive across the Charles River and a walk in the moonlight by one of the bridges was amazing. Finally, we reach Harvard Square and decide to sit in a coffee shop, Au Bon Pain, the coffee shop which I will never forget to go to if I see one around. My friend asked me if I would like to eat Chocolate Croissant and I didn't know what it was so I thought I should try it. Not to mention, the friend mentioned that the one that we get here is eggless. Coming from India and a religion that does not believe in killing an ant forget about eating meat, this was very important.

I shared half of it since I was not sure how much I'd like it. But to my surprise I wanted to eat more of it. But I didn't respond to my craving to eat more because of the # of calories it'd put in my body. This incident is something that I will always remember, although it has nothing great about it if you look at it as a third person. I have a personal reason to it. Adding more to my liking was the great taste and how perfectly the melted chocolate is filled inside baked bun which smells of all the fatty butter. There is no dessert like it, atleast for me.

So from then on, I never forgot to eat one chocolate croissant whenever possible. When my other friend, who I met in New Jersey found out how much I liked it, he always used to get it for me but from Starbucks since there were no Au Bon Pain close by. Guess what??? even he got addicted to eating it. Poor him, he was also watching his calory intake but I will take the blame of spoiling his eating habit here.

Chocolate Croissant not only has a taste but it has memories added to it in my book of life which will never fade. All the moments of eating it were full of emotions; the one where I was happy as if you have given his favorite food to a kid; the one where you are having fun while eating it with friends; the emotion of teasing someone for adding not so needed calories...and the one for someone who introduced it to me.

If that person happen to read this ever, Thanks for this and I will eat one to toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment